March 9th, 2005


Meg's flight cancelled

So, for completeness, Mum's cremation will be at the Mountsett Crematorium in Dipton, County Durham at 10:15 on Thursday morning. No flowers, by request; donations in lieu to stroke or arthritis charities. Meg is on the Virgin VS012 from Boston to London Heathrow, which was due to set off at 7:25pm EST, arriving in London at 6:55am tomorrow, from which point she will take the tube to King's Cross and a GNER train from London to Darlington and a local train from Darlington to Middlesbrough.

We have been watching the Boston weather with great interest, and yesterday we saw warning of a severe snowstorm. It snowed outside Meg's window while she was at work, it sleeted while Meg was in the car on the way to the airport and lots of aeroplanes boarded and departed early.

Not Virgin.

Meg has boarded the aeroplane, been waiting for three hours and just called me from her cellphone to let me know that the flight has been cancelled because the entire airport has closed. Meg certainly knows enough not to use a cellphone when the 'plane is in danger of doing any of the things that a normal plane does, like taking off and flying, but I think sitting in a plane-shaped box that isn't going anywhere is a different matter.

At this point I would like to say Collapse )

I don't think there's anything that anyone can do at this point; it's a weather delay, after all, and lots of people are in the same boat situation, and it's in Virgin's interest to sort everyone out as quickly as possible, and there's not much to be gained from trying to transfer to another aeroplane from the same airport. An imaginitive solution would be to take all the passengers in a coach to somewhere the storm wasn't and from where a transatlantic jet might fly, but I'm not holding out much hope of that. I am not sure that even if any of you were to take "is there anything I can do to help?" exceptionally literally and run Meg 500 miles down the coast overnight to a non-weatherbound airport - which I'm absolutely not suggesting, over-eager potential volunteers - that it would actually help her.

Current mood: non-specifically pissed off, but somehow too glazed-over and too accepting of fate to actually be angry...

Edited 0009 Thursday: After about 24 hours of frantic transport negotiations, Meg's now in the country, staying with an off-LJ friend and is fully ready to make the trip up. Getting a taxi from a train station at 9:19 is apparently impossible because all taxis in the country are now booked up on long-term contracts running kids to school. Hmm! I knew traffic is bad at that time of day due to the school runs, but I didn't know that was one of the side-effects. Still, we've cracked 95% of things. Hurrah.
  • Current Mood
    not good