The BBC have an interesting article about a possible link between sleeping patterns and personality characteristics. As pseudoscience goes, this stuff is better than astrology. People divide themselves into one of six categories according to their habitual sleeping pattern; each category has an endearing name and a largely positive bunch of character traits associated with it. None of the six sets of traits are necessarily exclusive with any of the others; you will likely find a bit of yourself in each of the six.
Let's do this scientifically. I'm going to post the six categories, with their sleeping pattern descriptions and their associated character traits, and I want to see whether you can work out which way I sleep from which set of character traits seem to be most like me. (Of course, some of you have seen me sleep in the past and so might have a bit of a clue already, but that's not a problem.)
- Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.
- Log: Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.
- Yearner: People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.
- Soldier: Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.
- Freefall: Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.
- Starfish: Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.
How do you think I sleep?
I think you sleep like a foetus
I think you sleep like a log
I think you sleep like a yearner
I think you sleep like a soldier
I think you sleep like a freefaller
I think you sleep like a starfish
How do you sleep?
I sleep like a foetus
I sleep like a log
I sleep like a yearner
I sleep like a soldier
I sleep like a freefaller
I sleep like a starfish
It varies / what is this "sleep" of which you speak?